• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sunburn, your remedies??

misteee

Bluelight Crew
hey people.
as the australian sun starts to heat up, the skin starts to burn...

just the other day i was in the sun and got burnt to a crisp. however i treat my burn with emu oil followed by aloe vera, from what i read emu oil penetrates the effects skin, im not sure on the truth behind this but seems to take the sting out and stop the itching!!

anyone else got personal remedies they use on their sun burns

stay in the shade as much as possible until it fades. Dont get burned next time (or too badly burned).

When I was on surf trip I would 'toe the edge' of sunburn that would go away overnight compared to one that would last 24+ hours. You want the go away overnight kind otherwise you cant really surf much once the sun hits hard.

lavender oil and coconut milk I find very soothing and lavender oil helps reduce the heat in the skin and quickens the healing process.
a good moisturiser as well helps to soften the skin and rehydrating it.
remember to drink plenty of water. feel better soon :)

Aloe has helped me too.

If I had to deal with sunburn regularly, I'd make an extract of Aloe, mint, and thyme to use.

Never ever any lotions with lanolin. Lanolin worsens burns. Vinegar really helps.

Aloe works the best (for me). You should buy an aloe plant to keep handy

Calendula (marigold) oil works best for me. in the US it is a component of a cream used to prevent severe skin damage associated with targeted radiation treatments for cancer. AWESOME for burns in general.

Aloe vera is nice too.

Definitely Aloe Vera all the way. I've got some cheap noname stuff that has Novocain or something in it as well that pretty much numbs up the whole area.

In the summer I take Standard Process cataplex F perles. They do a great job keeping me from getting burned. take 6 in the morning every day and the sun actually tans you instead of burns the fuck outta you. my doc says to use organic coconut oil as sunscreen too.

http://www.standardprocess.com/display/StandardProcessCatalog.spi?ID=70

"You might have read articles that say you should stay out of the sun, that sunshine is hazardous to health. Well, it’s only dangerous to people who are F deficient We are the only company that calls this factor vitamin F. There may be some people who have recently started talking about it, but Dr. Lee named it. In scientific textbooks vitamin F is referred to as the essential fatty acids. Our F product is called Cataplex F, Cataplex F tablets in the dry form, Cataplex F Perles in the oil form."

"The ultraviolet rays from the sun convert skin oil to vitamin D. Too much D is called hypervitaminosis D. Actually, it is not too much D but a deficiency of F, vitamin D’s antagonist. D picks up calcium from the stomach and puts it into the blood. F, the essential fatty acids, takes it from the blood and puts it into the tissues. Suppose you get D and no F. Your blood calcium level will increase at the expense of the tissue calcium level, because D not only picks up calcium from the stomach, in a deficiency of F, it brings calcium from the tissues back into the blood. That’s why farmers and other people who are in the sun a lot get thick skin if they don’t eat enough F, which is primarily in oils. They get hives. They get sunstroke. Sunstroke involves high blood calcium levels with low tissue calcium levels. As I say, it is not so much a matter of too much D as a lack of F."

http://www.road-to-health.com/_id/synerg.htm

Last edited:
Calendula (marigold) oil works best for me. in the US it is a component of a cream used to prevent severe skin damage associated with targeted radiation treatments for cancer. AWESOME for burns in general.

Aloe vera is nice too.

OOOO I forgot about that, calendula is very good for burns, also niaoli is used in cancer patients who have to go for radiotherapy they apply it for about 10-14 days prior to going in for the first course as it helps them heal better afterwards and the side effects seem less.

thanks for the responses people, glad to see people take care of there burnt skin.
dont know if anyone else out there does, but does anyone put there aloe vera in the freezer before applying?? thats brilliant really helps deep inside the burn.
i must research this calendula stuff sounds interesting thanks NQA

I do with aloe vera, I normally by a big tub, was thinking about getting a plant and doing it myself but have so much else to do normally.
My friend freezes hers in an ice cube tray and pops out a portion at a time so it is nice and cooling she uses it for burn muscles aches and sprains. brilliant stuff.
calendula is also known as pot marigold try this one http://www.herbalgardens.com/herbs.html
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendula you can add them in with salads as well gives a nice colour to it.

I do with aloe vera, I normally by a big tub, was thinking about getting a plant and doing it myself but have so much else to do normally.
My friend freezes hers in an ice cube tray and pops out a portion at a time so it is nice and cooling she uses it for burn muscles aches and sprains. brilliant stuff.
calendula is also known as pot marigold try this one http://www.herbalgardens.com/herbs.html
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendula you can add them in with salads as well gives a nice colour to it.

wow, thats a brilliant idea of the ice cube tray, truely is!!
thanks for the links ill be sure to check up on those shortly.

For my sunburn (and I come from South Africa, so I know what I'm talking about) I take a cool bath with some vinegar in it, then get someone to rub lavender oil into my affected areas. Make sure they have soft hands, otherwise it can really suck.

Oh, and I don't know if you have Bulbinella where you stay, but that is amazing for just about any skin ailment, and works excellently for bad burns. Just squeeze the slimy juice from the leaf and rub it wherever you need it.

aloe gel fresh from the actual plant. I grow one every year usually, one good smear will cure almost any minor burn instantly.

aloe vary, ive even used the actual plant before, just squeezed out the juice. (no homo)